Monday, April 17, 2006

Mile high BBQ - a bit closer to heaven

On my last day in Denver, I had a couple of hours to kill, so I took at "stroll" to Erico Motor Sports, which is Denver's Vespa dealer.

Stroll isn't a word I use for a nearly 3-mile (rt) hike, but it was sunny so off I went. Erico is down an industrial road on the outskirts of downtown Denver and after passing a couple of art galleries and wholesale meat places, I found myself surrounded by Vespas (and Ducatis, at al). The dealership was nice and the people knowledgeable and helpful. I browsed around a bit looking for a present for my wife. We chatted a bit and I came away with a black messenger bag with half a dozen patches on it and a friendly reminder to give them a call should I want anything I can't find locally. Before leaving, they also reminded me that they rent scooters and it makes an easy way to see the town or to join a local club for a ride. Sounds like a good plan to me.

On my way back to the hotel, I passed a this hole-in-the-wall BBQ (see picture) place called Yazoo that had a line wrapped around inside and out the door. I'm always on the looking for good BBQ and if the line is any indication, I was in for a treat. When you finally make it up to the counter you have a dizzying array of choices, but when push came to shove, I went with the old standby, a half rack of pork ribs. I was a good choice and as I was sitting there chomping on the ribs, I couldn't help feeling that being in the Mile High city that I was a little closer to heaven.

David

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd that Denver is a trailblazer in this regard; they're not the first city that comes to mind when one thinks of progressive transportation. In fact, just outside Denver in the city of Highlands Ranch, one can find the most atrocious examples of poor planning and car-centric thinking one can imagine. Outside the hotel where I stayed last year, a pedestrian needs courage and brass ones to cross the streets, which are unbelievably wide, and sidewalks are either incomplete or nonexistent. Ugh.

I welcome this kind of trend, because it can only be good for all motorcyclists. As scooters become more prevalent among voters, and the line between them and motorcycles continues to blur, I predict a decline in bad laws which discriminate against motorcycles, and an increase in public awareness of two-wheeled vehicles, as two-wheelers become perceived as more mainstream and less a "fringe" culture.

The more the merrier.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home